Jul 31, 2006

First Cartoon






Edit:
Here is the colored version, please let me know what you think of my color choices.










This is the inked version of my first cartoon. One of my goals is to get better a cartooning. One of my biggest obstacles has been "What to draw?" well I was sitting in front of the blank page getting pretty pissed off over my current finances and it hit me. Writers should write what they know artist should draw what they know. This is what came out after a few thumb-nails. Please any comments or critiques would be very helpfully.

The colored version should be done by tonight with any luck.

Thanks in advance



Kevin

2 comments:

K.B. said...

Hey Kevin,

Thanksfor your kind comments on my blog.I like your color chices here.They are not the same colors one might choose for the subject matter which is a good thing. I like peole who think outside the box with color and design. This would benifit from som background color.

Darryl Young said...

Hey Kevin,

I agree with KB's comments, nice color choices.

Thanks for all your kind comments, so sorry I haven't responded sooner.

I do use photoshop when coloring my work, and try to specifically make it look natural. I was lucky enough to get a tutorial from Bruno Werneck, Steve Lambe, and the above KB one night and there are two very important things I learned about the program....

1) Work and think in layers. I usually have 3-4 color layers going on at once, plus a seperate line art layer. This will help things from getting muddy. If you don't like a layer just delete it, or change the color value, hue, or saturation seperately from other layers. You can have a base tone, mid tone, and highlights going on all at once.

2) Painting and Erasing are just as important. If you don't like something you've done, it can always be erased whole or partial. By this I mean, take advantage of the eraser's ability to become a textured brush, or semi-transparent, or fine chiseling tool. Always think in negative and positive spacial terms. Subtracting can be as important as adding.

I know this is a real quicky ... but hope it helps. Just keep practicing and asking questions, all of us have to in order to learn ;)

Take Care,
Darryl